Each application cycle starts in Autumn on a yearly basis (usually 1st of September until December). More information can be found here, when the next cycle has begun.
General information on the application procedure
Your complete application needs to be submitted through our online application portal . Please prepare the following documents:
- Certificates or proof of current enrollment (B.S. and / or M.S.) (see FAQs 1.3-1.5)
- Your high school diploma
- Copy of your passport / identity card
- Academic curriculum vitae
- Personal statement (see FAQ 2.2)
- Names of four preferred fellows from the Max Planck School of Cognition for your lab rotations during the orientation year (1st year). You may also choose (ONE) faculty from our Adjunct Faculty
- Names of three potential supervisors from the Max Planck School of Cognition Fellows for your doctoral phase (2nd - 4th years; please do not contact the potential supervisors ahead of admission to the program; only necessary to identify 3 names of interest in the application)
- Contact of two referees for recommendation letters (see FAQs 3.5-3.6). Note, the deadline of the application call also applies to the referees
- Non-native English-speaking applicants must provide evidence of their English language proficiency (see FAQs 1.11-1.12)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
The Max Planck School of Cognition aims to recruit excellent students from all genders, nationalities, ethnic and social backgrounds, sexual orientations, and physical abilities. As part of our commitment to equal opportunities and diversity, we especially encourage applications from individuals who belong to underrepresented groups in science, such as women and people with disabilities.